Wednesday, June 3, 2009

The Moment of Geekness.

Woot. Never thought I'd actually post up quotations. This gave me such a boost in energy when doing my readings for the next paper. Felt like throwing my hands in the air and roaring with enthusiasm.

Roooaaarrrrrrrrr!

"... a corporatist society has structured itself to eliminate citizen participation in public affairs. People are encouraged to mind their own business and not be critical, which is dangerous because 'Criticism is perhaps the citizen's primary weapon in the exercise of her legitimacy. That is why, in this corporatist society, conformism, loyalty, and silence are so admired and rewarded; why criticism is so punished or marginalised'. Public health activity at all levels often involves cirticising the status quo and arguing for change, which threatens established interests ... Saul concludes, 'A citizen-based democracy os built upon participation, which is the very expression of permanent discomfort' (Saul, 1997, p. 195; in Baum, 1998).

I'm morphing into a geek. But I'm loving the process. Love public health. Love it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment